Hi Kevin

Dear Bruce

You have made a number of assumptions, inferences and half statements I need
to have them clarified.

1 .Inference; My life is not dull, and your suggestion that it is, is
borderline rude. Usually people resort to this when they are on the ropes.

> I really enjoyed your last answer. Few things have made me smile so
broadly
> in the last month; a great start to the day.

Kevin, in Australia, I would take this comment as an anaemic attempt at
high brow sarcasm, and have met enough poms to know it would be the same in
England.

If you didn't mean it sarcastically, then to state that my comments
brighten up your day so, is pretty convincing in itself that nothing else
interesting is happening in your life. Anyway, enough of this. Let's be
nice.

2. Inference; my knowledge of electro history is shaky, No I am reasonably
well read and my BSc Hons dissertation was on this subject. So no need for
the revision thanks all the same.

Well I am surprised that you are so open to current electro practice if you
are familiar with its dark history and share no concern about the
similarities of what drove it then and now.

3 Assumption; I rarely use US, perhaps 5 applications a year at most, I am
relatively unconvinced by its claims, work in the English NHS and have no
need to take $150 dollars off anyone. It is your clinical reasoning
processes I am interested in not the US debate.

Oh ok, so why not just come onto the newsgroup and say
"I am relatively unconvinced by its claims"

The therapy decisions you make and the treatments you give are funded by
the tax payer...someone pays for the treatment eventually, and if it is
ineffective or unnecessary, then the opportunity cost will approach $150,
and other patients don't get seen until later, which is contributing to the
unsustainability of the NHS. As usual, the public get the bum deal. And
this is why I feel strongly about finding truth, and weeding out "machines
that go ping" as M. Python once said.

4. Half Statement; Ok rice, heat and active movement in your opinion has a
good scienfific validation. Lets have the evidence, discuss the processes,
paper, methodology strengths and weaknesses etc. We have to determine how
strong this validation is to understand why it is so superior the the US
evidence.

The evidence is in the literature. Why don't you go and find the peer
reviewed consensus of opinion that refutes RICE and heat.

5. I don't understand your statement with regard to the aura stuff and
scientific background. Science is the creation and testing of ideas not a
restrictive dogma where one methodology is king and everything outside is
crass. Things like RCT SSED etc are just the imperfect tools to answer the
questions. If done in a poor or inappropriate way they have no value.
Scientists should have enquiring minds not aggressively dismissive.

Read the literature in the field of psychology and psychophysiology, and
contact "English Skeptics".

6. Assumption. One last time I have no need to cling to US you could take it
out of my dept tomorrow and I wouldn't blink an eye. Therefore I do not need
to tell you why I cling to it. We are discussing reasoning/EBM/clinical
effectiveness, surely this and not a who will win the anti/pro US debate.

So on what scientific basis would you remove US from your dept? What
evidence do you have to deprive the English public from receiving a
commonly used physical therapy treatment?

And as someone so passionate about EBM, I'd like to know what treatments
you do perform.

Probably your bedtime now in Oz so look forward to tomorrow

Kevin

Kevin, you have to find something better to do with your downtime if you
look forward to my responses, as I have stuff to do that is better than
getting into extended repetitive exchanges...   :)