Hello All,
Allow me to re-introduce myself.  My name is June Mecham.  I am a Ph.D.
Candidate at the University of Kansas, working on a dissertation on female
monastic life at the convent of Wienhausen in Lower Saxony.  I am returning
to the list after spending a year in Germany researching.  I am struggling
to decipher several small liturgical manuscripts from this convent, almost
certainly produced by the nuns themselves and now in a regretably
fragmentary state.  My basic question (forgive my ignorance) is whether or
how one can differentiate between a Breviary and a book of hours based on
fragmentary remains, such as excerpts from litanies, prayers, or hymns from
say, the hours of the cross.  Since these components seem to appear in both
types of devotional works, are there any clues that might help make a
definitive differentiation?  Or should I simply assume that because this is
a convent, breviaries and not books of hours would be standard?  I should
mention that the manuscripts appear to date primarily from the second half
of the fifteenth century.  I might also mention that the fragments that I am
tentatively regarding as breviaries do not always appear to indicate what
they contain.  There are often few rubrics indicating hymn, antiphonal,
response, etc...  I have combed through Hughes' works on medieval liturgy
and a few other secondary sources, but I would welcome any thoughts or
advice anyone might be willing to offer.
Thanks in advance,
Sincerely,

June Mecham

to: [log in to unmask]