Did you manage to get the confidence intervals for those odds estimates? My
field is not LBP but the smoking literature does interest me.

The full text reports of those studies might indicate whether any
confounding variables are likely to have influenced the effect estimates (if
they don't report these then the paper is suspect).  If they do,
multivariate regression analyses or stratified analyses might reveal more
detail and allow judgement of cause and effect, say using Bradford-Hill
criteria. This is particularly relevant if the estimates haven't been
adjusted for age given Deyo's observations on increase in effect with
smoking pack years.

In terms of the magnitude of effect, OR's in the range you report are in
general pretty good evidence of effect (providing CI's don't cross 1 and the
trials are adequately powered). However, with smoking because cause and
effect is so controversial (i.e. the tobacco companies lawyers don't like
you saying that it's causal) most look for an OR of a really large
magnitude. Of course this, like you said, is up for debate!

Doll and Hill, Richard Peto, and Geoffrey Rose's work has set the 'tone' in
terms of risk-effect levels of the multiplicative risk of smoking. For
instance: a non-smoking person not exposed to asbestos has a relative risk
of 1 for lung cancer mortality, a smoking non-exposed person has a RR of
10.9, a non-smoking exposed has a RR of 5.2 and a individual smoker exposed
to asbestos has RR of 53.2 (see Rose, The strategy of preventative medicine,
Oxford, OUP, 1992).

I would be interested to hear if you ever do find evidence on the "impeded
nutrition to the disk" theory. It certainly has biological plausibility.

Alistair Grant
University of Cambridge