ECONOMIC HISTORY SOCIETY ANNUAL CONFERENCE
University of Birmingham

On behalf of CHORD (the Committee for the History of Retailing and
Distribution, University of Wolverhampton, UK), I should like to inform you
that the Committee has decided to submit a 'session' proposal in connection
with the 2002 Economic History Society conference, to be held at the
University of Birmingham, UK, on 5-7 April 2002.
The aim of the session, provisionally entitled 'The Retailing Revolution: A
Reassessment', is to discuss issues concerning the timing, nature, causes
and impact, of the so-called 'retailing revolution', as well as to question
whether the very notion of a 'revolution' is applicable to retail
development in Britain and/or elsewhere, from c 1500 to the present. Its
objective is to include papers from a range of disciplines and focusing on
a range of historical periods, geographical areas, and retail forms.
International comparisons are also welcome.
The session will be 1 1/2 hours in length. We propose to include three
papers of twenty minutes each, leaving 30 minutes for questions and
discussion. Further information concerning the Conference can be found from
the EHS's web-page, at: http://www.ehs.org.uk
All those interested in participating in the proposed CHORD session, are
invited to send by 7 September 2001 a title and brief abstract (between
400-500 words in length), preferably in electronic form to:
Dr. Laura Ugolini
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Room MQ 203/4
Quadrant Chambers