On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:59:45 +0000 Michael Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
wrote in reply to:

> on 7/29/01 3:16 AM, [log in to unmask] at
> [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> > forwarded message from Stephen Drake of Not Dead Yet (US) below.  I echo
> > Stephens plea that
> > disabled people's organisations and others speak out now for our right to live
> > and to consent.
> >

> > Message: 9
> > Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:57:52 EDT
> > From: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: To Activists on the List
> >
> > I know that recent conversations on the list have been mostly from
> > the bioethicists on the list - it is, after all, a bioethics list.

[...snip...]

> You'd be better off explaining what your position on euthanaesia actually is
> before launching a campaign against it

I tend to agree with Michael, I've read:

Concluding observations of the Human Rights Committee : Netherlands. 20/07/2001
http://www.unhchr.ch/tbs/doc.nsf/385c2add1632f4a8c12565a9004dc311/dbab71d01e02db11c1256a950041d732?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,euthanasia

(if the above URL is split to multiple lines by your email program,
 you will have to cut and paste it together again)

Altough the language is careful, it does present the issues of "voluntary and
well-considered requests" as well as the associated dangers with euthanasia.
I my opinion, "human rights" are not only the protection of life [in specific
social contexts], but also the respect for what I think is best for me [even if
that is to undergo assisted-suicide].

The original note by Stephen Drake, implies it was sent to a bioethics list.
I don't know what list that is and suspect that much more discussion about
this issue will be taking place there.

Cheers!
--
Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

are now located at: