I am sometimes alarmed and dismayed by the way some historians, especially when interpreting a literary or quasi-literary text, do not seem to understand anything about literary conventions, figures of speech &c. This leads to all kinds of misunderstandings about what is actually being said.

The demise of traditional English teaching in favour of creativity may be to blame.

I suspect art historians may see a parallel problem with allegorical pictures ...

This might be a topic MeRel could explore .....

Brenda M.C.