Indy Archys:

Steamtown National Historic Site in beautiful Scranton Pennsylvania is the
place where the National Park Service interprets the role of steam powered
locamotives in the US. They've got more operating engines and cars (and
money) than most small railroad museums. I used to take the kids and we'd
watch them move the engines back and forth just to keep them from sitting
too long. Lots of good railroad history in the Lackwanna region. The little
town of Honesdale, PA, about a half hour east of Scranton, was the site of
the first locomotive used in the US (The Stourbridge Lion), imported from
Scotland to haul anthracite to New York. The Lion had an extremely short
lifespan, and ended up sitting in a barn and being scrapped for salvage. I
think the Smithonian ended up with the boiler and a couple other parts.
There's a (non-operating) replica around there someplace.

Hope this helps,

Dave

At 10:16 AM 6/19/01 -0400, Franziska Blome wrote:
>Hello to all train buffs among this list.
>
>  Unfortunately, I can't contribute anything to the rail archaeology
discussion, but I also have a question re. trains and locomotives: I'm
trying to locate three different types of engines for a PBS documentary
film on the early history of Chicago (some of you may remember me: I had
posted a couple of location queries over the last year, and have received
very helpful leads from members of this list).  These are the types of
trains we're hoping to find in operating condition (ideally all at one
place or within the same area):

>  1) An engine that would resemble the "Pioneer" of the time when trains
first ran to Chicago in 1848 - I had inquired at the B&O Museum in
Baltimore about their 1837 "Lafayette", which seems to be the closest
around, but it isn't regularly operated, and we can't afford (tight budget)
to have them run it just for us.  Any other ideas where we might want to try?

>  2) A Pullman car from the late 1890s with apreserved dining room
interior - The "Ely" at the Illinois Railway Museum seems to be the closest
match for this, but unfortunately, it is in very fragile and run down
condition. Are there any others from the "our" period around that you know of?

>  3) An engine that could stand in for a scene from the 1894 Pullman
strike where 3 or 4 federal troops were on the cow catcher, blazing away at
strikers - We might be able to film this scene at the Valley Railroad
Company in CT, they have a couple of early 1920s engines that are
supposedly very similar in appearance to 1890s locomotives.

>  Any suggestions or leads are greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>  Best,
>  Franziska
>--
>Franziska Blome