At the last SMR User Group held in York I made a suggestion regarding the
future running of our Group.  I would like to set up a small working group
of SMROs, I would suggest one from each region as an ideal number.  The
working group will:

Act as a more formal mechanism for sharing information between the ALGAO
SMR Committee, the Portable Antiquities Working Group and SMROs
Decide on topics, format and venues for future SMR User Groups

The level of communication between SMROs is excellent thanks to the SMR
Forum but links with ALGAO are adhoc and we would all benefit from the
introduction of some structure.  As SMROs we all need to feel that User
Group such as, development of the SMR Manual, liaison with the Portable
Antiquities Scheme etc are run effectively.  I hope the instigation of a
working group (I know, meetings about meetings!) is a way to ensure we are
more than just talking shop.  The group need not meet anywhere other than
in e-space and they would ensure that more SMRs have their views
represented in the national context.

I should say this is not a bid to do Martin Newman out of a job, he will
continue to take most of the credit for arranging User Group Meetings and
acting as liaison between SMROs and EH.

I am happy to see a debate on this idea on SMR Forum, but I would be even
happier to have SMROs volunteer to sit on the Working Group.  A Working
Group should be formed by the end of August to plan for the next SMR User
Group in November.

Emma Jones
Warwickshire SMR Officer