Robert Twiss schrieb:
>         Seems to me a simple dimensional analysis shows the fallacy
> of Koenemann's argument:  The dimensions of f/A are [M][L][T^(-2)] /
> [L^2] and of U are [M][L^2][T^(-2)] / [L^3], so the dimensions of
> both quantities are the same: [M]/[L][T^2].  Thus both quantities
> scale the same way with the dimension of the system, and Koenemann's
> conclusion must be incorrect.

The dimensions of a physical term do not tell you which function it follows.
This we find from considering boundary conditions or other constraints; this
discussion is very much about finding out which are the proper constraints.

But if you wish to ignore the divergence theorem and potential theory - well,
at the very least you could let me know why you do so; after all, this argument
is not new to you. Silence is not an answer.

At any given scale you have the choice (a) to consider some given mass with a
given surface, then to consider a part of that surface _at constant mass_; in
this case f/A holds. Or (b) you consider a smaller mass with a smaller surface
which is then the _entire_ surface of the mass; in that case f/A does not hold.
In both cases A is a variable, but only in (b) mass is a variable too. And that
is all the difference that matters.

Falk Koenemann

|  Dr. Falk H. Koenemann                             Aachen, Germany  |
|  Email: [log in to unmask]                 Phone: *49-241-75885  |
|  stress  elasticity   deformation of solids   plasticity    strain  |
|  The rain, it raineth on the Just                                   |
|  And on the Unjust fella.                                           |
|  But chiefly on the Just because                                    |
|  The Unjust stole the Just's umbrella.                              |