G'day Ken, John et al.

I post this on the general list because denudation rates may
also be of interest to others. You may find

I.E. Whitehouse (1988) Geomorphology of the central Southern
Alps, New Zealand: the interaction of plate collision and
atmospheric circulation. Zeitschrifft fuer Geomorphologie
N.F. 69: 105-116

of interest. Note - the relative plate tectonic rate cited
in this paper is possibly a bit high (45 mm/yr) and later
estimates put it at about 37 mm/yr (DeMets et al. 1990). The
tectonic uplift rates may be ok though. (I'm not sure about
the exact title of the publication, its only abbreviated on
my copy Z. Geomorph. N.F. Let me know if you can't get hold
of the journal.)

Also denudation rates have been estimated from fission track
analysis and this may be particularly relevant to your
interest

Kamp & Tippett (1993) Dynamics of Pacific Plate crust in the
South Island (New Zealand) . . . J Geophys Research 98:
16105-16118
and
Tippett & Kamp (1993) Fission track analysis of late
Cenozoic vertical kinematics . . . J Geophys Research 98:
16119-16148

Note that there is strong disagreement between some parties
in NZ re the geological reality of these and related
studies!

Cheers
Steve White