All,

A question that I have regarding the discussion of assymetry of subduction
zones and the west wandering theory is how does the alpine-himalaya orogeny
fit into this scheme? Surely we have north wandering here and hasn't this
been the case for a long period? Would it also not be fair to suggest that
fragments of gondwana have been north wandering for a long time as well?
This may sound naive on my part, but surely if the rotational forces are
strong enough to influence plate tectonics globally then why would a small
fragment such as India move northwards away from the equator unless other
stronger forces were operating and why would peri-gondwanan terrains break
out northwards as well?
Hope I've not missed the point, if so then please put me straight.

Cheers

----
Craig Storey, Dept. of Geology, University of Leicester,
Leicester, LE1 7RH
Tel: (+44) 0116 252 3632 Fax: (+44) 0116 252 3918
Email [log in to unmask]
http://www.le.ac.uk/geology/staff/glpgst.html
----