The early issues of the Journal of Glaciology have a number of
excellent articles on the subject by, among others, John Nye of the
University of Bristol. His work was important in helping inspire my
approach to the study of rotated garnets and their application, in
collaboration with colleagues, to tectonic problems in rocks* other
than glaciers in the Northern Appalachians and the Alps. Of course,
one shouldn't forget the Nineteenth Century work of Tyndall. As I
recall, he discussed grizzly examples of strain measured by the
reappearance of chamois and a human corpse that had been accidentally
incorporated in Alpine glaciers. The best place to start is the
excellent paperback by W.S.B. Paterson entitled "The Physics of
Glaciers," 2nd edition (1981), which contains most of the important
references up to the time of publication. I hope this helps.

John Rosenfeld

*:

1968: John L. Rosenfeld, "Garnet Rotations Due to the Major Paleozoic
Deformations in Southeast Vermont," Chap. 14 in Studies of
Appalachian Geology: Northern and Maritime, ed. by E-an Zen, W.S.
White, J.B. Thompson and J.B. Hadley [New York, Wiley-Interscience],
p. 185-202.

1984:  Hepburn, J.C., Trask, N.J., Rosenfeld, J.L., and Thompson,
J.B.,Jr., "Bedrock geology of the Brattleboro Quadrangle, Vermont-New
Hampshire," Vermont Geol. Survey Bull. 32, Agency of Environmental
Conservation, Dept. of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering,
Montpelier, Vermont, 162 p. (with colored geologic map and cross
sections).

1987:  Rosenfeld, John L., "Rotated Garnets," p. 702-709 in
Encyclopedia of Structural Geology and Plate Tectonics, C.K.Seyfert,
Editor, Volume X of Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series, R.W.
Fairbridge, Series Editor,  New York, Van Nostrand - Reinhold, 876 p.

1989:  J.N. Christensen, Rosenfeld, J.L., and D.J. DePaolo, "Rates of
tectonometamorphic processes from rubidium and strontium isotopes in
garnet," Science, v. 244, p. 1465 - 1469.

1994:  Christensen, J.N., Jane Selverstone, J.L. Rosenfeld, D.J.
Depaolo. (1994). Correlation by Rb-Sr geochronology of garnet growth
histories from different structural levels within the Tauern Window,
eastern Alps. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology.  118: 1-12.

--
John L. Rosenfeld
Department of Earth & Space Sciences

Phone: 310-825-1505