On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Thomas Baker wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Andy Powell wrote:
> > > C) Agent-Properties (Ex: Address, Name)
> > FWIW, my personal view is that any agent working group should be given a
> > strong steer in the direction of making recommendations for the use/re-use
> > of existing work outside of DCMI (e.g. vCard, MARC relators, etc.) rather
> > than inventing new stuff for this.
>
> In what form would such recommendations come before the Usage Board, if
> at all?  Because of our grammar, we cannot simply create a qualifier
> pointing to MARC relators the way we point to LC Subject Headings.  And
> if the Agent WG recommended, say, vCard, should the Usage Board have
> any role in ratifying that recommendation?

They wouldn't come to the usage board at all.  vCard elements are similar
to the IEEE elements used in the DC-Education recommendation.  They would
not need ratifying by us - it would be inappropriate.

The MARC relator codes are, in effect, element qualifiers taken from a
non-DC namespace - as with any element qualifier they are simply new
elements that happen to be refinements of one or more DCMES elements.
Again, we shouldn't be in the business of ratifying these things - though
we could make statements of the form "MARC relator X refines DCMES element
Y" ?

> > Certainly if C) involves inventing a new element set it should be
> > ruled out of scope of DCMI.
>
> Out of scope for The Dublin Core, yes.  But inventing a new element set
> is not out of scope of the DCMI mission defined in Ottawa.  Whether it
> is a good idea to do this (as opposed to pointing to existing work
> elsewhere) is a different question.

OK, I stand corrected (though I don't say I'm overly in favour of such a
wide mission).  What I should have said was, it seems inappropriate, to
me, for DCMI to expend effort developing a core standard for describing
people.

In any case, it is probably inappropriate for me to make such statements
here... the usage board is not the place to discuss what it is sensible or
not for working groups to consider.  Apologies.

Andy
--
Distributed Systems and Services
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK       [log in to unmask]