Rachel Heery <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> By using one namespace one cannot manipulate groups of terms by means of
> their identifiers alone. I think this might make managing large
> collections of instance metadata over time quite onerous in that one has
> no way of optimising software for DC, no 'shorthand' which will enable
> software to say e.g.  I do not want to index any data relating to dcq
> namespace URIs.

Yes, but who are we to define what "subsets" of DC software is going to
accept? Furthermore, I don't think that separating these terms by namespace
will make things significantly easier on the implementers.

> In addition one has no information from the term URI within instance
> metadata as to the relation of terms to each other (one cannot distinguish
> domain specific metadata). Also seems to me less than helpful.

I agree that domain-specific should be moved into a separate namespace.

> I also see no downside in including a version number in namespace URI,
> this does not mean one has to change version when a term is addded to a
> namespace. It merely gives option of creating a new version in future if
> one wishes to deprecate terms or split one term into two concepts. I
> expect no-one outside software devpt community to read such URIs.
> End-user's view is not of version numbers but of a 'vocabulary'.

Version numbers add confusion: how do I correlate this version with the
correct spec? I see no downside in not including one, we still have the
option of adding one in the future, when we create a new version.

> On balance i would support retaining the three namespace URIs as outlined
> domain specific terms as they appear. Looks like I may be in minority of
> one tho!
>
> Along the lines of:
>
> http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1
> http://purl.org/dcq/v1