Paul ,
Almost right. If it happens to you, then to me it is an anecdote. If it happens to me it is a whole lot more significant than a mere anecdote, it becomes an experience.
My coleague tells a similar story. Given Morphine for a "local" unpleasntness he managed to vomit to Mallory Weiss proportions.
In answer to your last point I suspect it is because it seems to work and is easy to spell. I have never heard of this other stuff but I have stopped Stemetil.

JP

>>> Paul Bailey <[log in to unmask]> 06/11/01 12:11pm >>>
John,
so when you say
"That was quite a useful trial I thought"
you actually mean that you have had a personal anecdotal experience which
has changed your practice!

BTW, I fully agree with you about armchair experts.  I am thoroughly
convinced that the decision making process of an experienced clinician is a
very undervalued commodity.  Similarly, I would routinely advocate the use
of antiemetics in the situation that you have described, and in which you
were denied them.  What I can't quite understand is why we are so hung up on
metoclopramide.

Regards
Paul Bailey MB BS FACEM