>NHS direct, door to needle times have increased the workload.  I don't have
>the resources.  Am I alone?  Can my colleagues, Cliff and even Stephen give
>me some constructive advice.  What do I do?
>
>Danny McGeehan

Essentially, as I see it, the problem has become bigger than the
specialty. As I see it, A/E is dying. We cannot even all agree as to
what form the specialty should take. (previous thread and others)

Some time ago, I was told by my boss that the DoH wanted to do away with
A/E as a specialty. He believed it. With the forthcoming national
service framework, that could well be on the cards.

Perhaps A/E +/- Emergency Medicine has had its day and we are now facing
the same crisis that the TB physicians and chest surgeons had when TB
became less prevalent (I'm too young to remember when!).

Sounds depressing? Actually, its a wonderful opportunity to reinvent
ourselves. Perhaps we could oversee the new service in whatever form it
takes. Perhaps we could all be forcibly retrained to become inner city
GP's (much needed for the govts plans). Perhaps we could all go our
separate ways and rediscover ourselves in other areas of medicine.

What I do know is that the service is a dismal failure. It is killing us
(have had to thrombolyse one senior colleague already).

So here's my constructive advice...

Go and do some reports, run a sports injury clinic, ensure that you
alone have sole charge of your department (colleagues are very
stressful) and FIDDLE WHILE ROME BURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Stephen Hughes