D.O. Hughes, "Distinguishing signs:  ear-rings, Jews and Franciscan
rhetoric in the Italian Renaissance city," Past and Present no. 112 (1986):
ca. p. 22.

Also try:

             Riess, Jonathan B.
             The Renaissance Antichrist : Luca Signorelli's Orvieto
frescoes / Jonathan B. Riess.
              Princeton : Princeton University Press, 1995.

Tom Izbicki

At 05:36 PM 5/3/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Anna Sapir Abulafia has written several articles dealing with how Jews
>were viewed in the Middle Ages. Either Miri Rubin (in Corpus Christi,
>CAambridge, 1991 and perhaps elsewhere)or Kathleen Biddick,in "Genders,
>Bodies, Borders: Technologies of the Visible,"Speculum LXVIII, pp.389-418.
>Reprinted in N. Partner, ed.Studying Medieval Women: Sex, Gender, Feminism.
>Cambridge,1993, discusses Paolo Uccello's Miracle of the Host. There is also
>an article dealing with cassone painting and Jewish patronage,
>i.e.,Haraszti-Takács, M. "Fifteenth-Century Painted Furniture with Scenes
>from the Esther Story," Jewish Art 15 (1989): 14-25. (I am skeptical about
>her conclusions.)
>Sorry to be so vague but I am away from my library.
>Best wishes,
>Marina Vidas
>--------------------
>
>Apologies for crosspostings to two lists, neither of which is a
>renassiance one, but I know there are plenty of you out there who stray
>into the fifteenth century and beyond.
>
>A student wants to do her MA dissertation on the way Jews are portrayed
>in Renaissance Art and has asked me for suggestions on what to read.
>I've come up with Ruth Mellinkoff, Sara Lipton. Dana Katz, an article by
>Diane Owen Hughes on Jews and Earrings, the location of which I can't
>remember, and a few other equally vague ideas on topics to search
>through (Judas, depictions of the Circumcision and Purfication,
>Renaissance Haggadahs and other MSS).  Clearly, she needs more help than
>I can give her!  Any suggestions?
>

>Laura

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]