Dear Tom,

The expert on Friar Clyn is Dr Bernadette Williams of Trinity College,
Dublin and as I know she's a list member I'll be very careful with my
comments! My impression is that the references to Sarabaites in both Clyn
(1309) and in the Annals of Innisfallen (1311) are to contemporary disputes
within the Franciscan Order in general rather than to specific ethnic
tensions within the Irish province. This tension seems to have been
particulary pronounced at the end of the 13th century and in the first three
decades of the fourteenth century, and while Clyn certanly refers to it, I
have not found evidence that disagreements over the observance of poverty
were a contributing factor.

In the fifteenth century however it is clear that one of the reasons for the
success of the Observant reform in Gaelic Ireland was that it enabled the
Gaelic friars to escape the control of the Anglo-Irish section of the
Province. The constitutional arrangements devised by the Order in general to
protect the rights of the Observant reformers were, in the Irish context, a
useful way for the Gaelic section to achieve effective independence. This is
not to say that the Obserant movement was not a genuine movement of
spiritual reform within the Irish Friars, it just had other more mundane
uses as well!

Colman O'Clabaigh, OSB
Glenstal Abbey
Ireland