Torie Reed writes of John the Baptist, 'he was, really, the first _alter
Christus_'.

Indeed, though could it not be argued that Jesus was, at first, the _alter
Johannes_?

Our attention was drawn, earlier in this discussion, to the evidential claim
that oral transmission in the first two centuries implicitly supported a
tradition among his contemporaries of Christ's virgin birth. What seems to
me equally interesting is that other evidential threads appear to complicate
the picture seriously.

For example, how long after the death of Jesus did the Johannine and
Christian parties run in parallel, or indeed in competition? What was the
role of Jesus' family (on both sides), and particularly of Mary, in shaping
emerging traditions? Was there a contest between groups around Mary and
Peter and what effect did that have? What was the interplay arising from
tension between Samaritan and Jewish groups (not to mention Judaeans and
Galileans)? - about which we hear much less than the tensions between Jews
and Gentiles.

The textual and iconographic references discussed here over the last several
days can be seen on one level to support 'traditional' interpretations; on
another to reflect subtle uses of such material to set up particular claims
as to who Jesus was and how others were to be regarded in relation to him -
John the Baptist crucially, perhaps.

It's likely that medieval studies have much to offer towards such questions.
But I write from ignorance, sensing only that if I was more knowledgeable
about the early church, I would understand so much better the medieval
material I work with.

These are interesting discussions. Thanks, folks!

Graham

Dr Graham Jones
Lecturer in English Topography
University of Leicester