 Philip,

The 'Two Tick'  (Access To Work Scheme) Positive about disabled people
scheme is organised by the Disability Services Team, which is an umbrella
branch of the Department For Employment.  If you contract your local
department they should be able to provide you with statistical evidence of
any impact the scheme has made.  The scheme replaced the old 'Green Card'
system where people who were registered disabled could state so on the
application form. (I.e. I think it was that any large organisation were
expected to ensure that 3% of their workforce were disabled people.  It was
not monitored and therefore impossible to prove that organisations employed
disabled people at all). We no longer have to register as disabled people.
But when applying for a job under the new two tick system we obviously have
to state that we are disabled people.  However, this still does not
guarantee an interview, which is often the assumption.  If employers use the
scheme it does imply 'Good employment practice' but I think you will see
from the number of tribunal cases successfully fought under the Disability
Discrimination Act, proves that there is still a long way to go regarding
discrimination and employment.  Statistics for the number of tribunal cases
can be obtained from the Disability Rights Commission.

The best thing to come from the Access To Work scheme is the funding they
can provide to disabled people for  essential equipment/travel/pa' s, to
enable disabled people to either return to work or remain in work.  This
ensures that employers cannot refuse to employ a disabled person using the
excuse of costly equipment etc. Further, the scheme is under used!

Hope this helps!

Regards -- Rosie.

Rosaleen Moriarty-Simmonds BSc (Hons)
RMS - Disability Issues Consultancy