Comrades, colleagues, sisters, friends,
It has just been announced that  Shahraz Kayani, the Pakistani refugee who
set himself alight
after his daughter,  a young disabled woman  with CP, was refused entry to
Australia has died.
In my capacity as President of Women with Disabilities Australia are
thoughts are with the family. We are ashamed of Australia's policy towards
refugees and towards potential citizens with disabilities. I am sure I
speak for many in the community when I say this is a sad day for the
disability rights movement. The Australian government's inaction  sends a
message to the world that speaks volumes about it's  lack of commitment to
human rights.

Helen Meekosha
Senior Lecturer
School of Social Work