>It is still unclear to me why (mostly) academics have difficulty with social
>interpretations of disability applied to people with the label of learning
>difficulties . It seems a very helpful framework for me. Indeed, some of the
>earlier academic attempts at social interpretation came from writers in this
>field, For example, see...
>

>Mark.

Right on...I have the same question in my field: why do academics (most of
them) concur on a social interpretation of gender and race, but not on the
label of disability?  I have had a hard time at schools of "social" work
(who you might detest, and quite understandably so) trying to convince
academics of a different viewpoint on disability - way opposite to their
perceptions of disability as an individual problem and as a tragedy.

Maybe this is a long shot, but I do think academics want to maintain their
secure place by buying into the dominant paradigm that promotes certain
ways of homogeneity despite the rhetoric of inclusion. Until research
funding continues to come from sources that buy into a medical paradigm
which presupposes individual as opposed to social interpretations of
disability, academics may well choose the path set by the trend. Until
research that measures remains the dominant trend and is based within
"scientific" capitalism", students, like me, will have to think twice
before writing a dissertation proposal with action research.

This leads me to ask another long shot question, whether the system of
education (excluding the true disability studies programs), that is
considered an important part of "civil society", itself perpetuates a
hegemony that leads to an individual interpretation of disability and
therefore, the exclusion of those given the label "disabled".

Vanmala

are now located at: