PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO ANY COLLEAGUES WHO ARE INVOLVED IN THE TEACHING OF
HISTORICAL/CRITICAL/CONTEXTUAL STUDIES (HCS) FOR STUDIO COURSES.
The enclosure below is the draft benchmark statement which will be relevant
for all  'service teaching' - NOT the History of Art Architecture & Design
statement, which only applies to full time HAAD courses (or those which
include at least 50% of the subject).
Concerns have been expressed that the Art & Design statement may not give
sufficient weight to the HCS areas, and that this omission may lead to a
marginalisation of staff or erosion of resources. This is not the intention
of the A&D panel, and they have incorporated some of the suggestions made by
HAAD colleagues, but if you want to suggest any further amendments, please
contact David Buss directly at the address given below, especially if you
have not had a chance to comment on the earlier draft.
The version which is agreed next Friday will be posted on the QAA website
for a public consultation period (from around July to October) but major
changes are unlikely to take place after that.
We all know benchmarking is boring, but it's better to make your views known
now rather than complain about it when the statements start to have an
impact on budgets and teaching!
Both statements will also go on to the AAH website as soon as possible, and
certainly before they make it to the QAA site in July