Some 8-10 years ago (if my memory serves me well) I was involved in awarding
the Two Ticks Symbol to employers. At the time it was very easy to get as it
was about the intention to recruit according to what was then good practice.
To a great extent it attracted the usual types of employers, for example
Local Authorities, national organisations and those with a specific interest
in disability issues. It used to be reviewed but was very, very difficult to
take away from an employer once awarded with the Employment Service
preferring to use a persuasion approach to get them to meet the criteria.
Because of this I feel that it was devalued almost as soon as the initial
publicity died down. There was talk about toughening it up but I'm not sure
if this ever happened, I've certainly seen no evidence of it. For example it
was only supposed to be used directly in connection with employment but the
logo appeared on a vast array of adverts targeting disabled people as
consumers rather than potential employees so became just another marketing
tool which was not it's intention.

However, the most important point is that it is now an irrelevance as the
requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act take away the need for it
as what was good practice 8-10 years ago is now a requirement under the Act.
It is far more important to make disabled people aware of the power of the
Act than the five commitments of the Symbol.

Paul