publication of our article on the subject:

Assendelft WJJ, Koes BW, Knipschild BW, Bouter LM. The relation between
methodological quality and conclusions in reviews of spinal manipulation.
JAMA 1995;274:1942-8.

All the best,

Pim Assendelft
-----Original Message-----
From:   A Lethaby [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Monday, May 14, 2001 10:28 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Example of systematic + narrative review

Dear List
I am searching for an example of a systematic review and a narrative type
review on the same topic (hopefully with different results) to demonstrate
to students or alternatively for them to discover the differences between
the 2 types of review.  Similarly, for a systematic review and an RCT on
the same topic with different results where students need to use their
skills to determine what has caused the difference.  (Bandolier gives the
example of a sys review using a spermicide to prevent STD infection but the
difference between the RCT and sys review is very very obvious - in 1 of
the studies all of the participants use condoms as well - that is a bit too
obvious!).
I would be most grateful if anyone has any refs that would be useful.

Thanks alot in anticipation.
Anne Lethaby
Anne Lethaby
Manager, EPI