Beating difficult hiring tactics (limited advertising etc.) require wide
dissemination of adverts. If you are seeking a job in geography and related
fields and you  don't check a couple of key websites every week, or are not
otherwise 'in the know', it is quite possible than an ad slips through the
net and you don't see it. It would be interesting to see what proportion of
the readership are in permanent enmployment and have no wish to see what
jobs are becoming available. I think the forum is a good outlet for ads. I
know several of my students and friends who are only on their posts because
they saw ads here.

Again, the list is an ideal venue for conference information dissemination.

The reasons for absence of hardened discussion of real-world issues is a)
some of us have been on the list along time, and the issues of already been
raised more than once b) we are getting on with things anyway, but don' t
need to debate them or have not time to do so c) we have nothing to say.

I doubt the latter applies very much!