Tom Bishop wrote:
>OK. I'll play. The situation would be rather like that obtaining with
>that other Elizabeth (the Glorious One), wouldn't it?  Does the myth
>call forth the woman, or vice versa -- or do both "dilate" one
>another?

Tom's mention of the analogy between the two Elizabeths makes me think of
Spenser's anxiety about how his works would be interpreted -- and the
cautious commentaries he makes on interpretation in Book 6 of the FQ,
especially.  Do the Amoretti exhibit as much anxiety over how they will be
interpreted?  Do they get more anxious as their topic gets closer to the
royal Elizabeth?

I also wonder about the warning against romanticized biographical
interpretations: no doubt it's valid, but then again, isn't the similarity
(and repetition) of names like Elizabeth an important part of how the
Amoretti mean something?  If we want to say the Amoretti ventriloquize
Spenser into being as a poetic persona, isn't it significant that they do it
by invoking the name, Elizabeth?  And can't we say that the figuratively
rich language of the Amoretti, full of ambiguities and overdetermined
signifiers, effectively gives Spenser some cover in case someone interprets
his poetry as offensive?

It seems to me that some of the most interesting questions we can ask center
on intentionality, and that we ought to concede (at the very least) that
poems are the products of (dare I say artistic? political? social?)
intention.

Cheers,
Joel Davis

Joel B. Davis