From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, 9 April 2001 20:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SPSS and multiple variables query

Dear group!

Could someone possibly help me with an SPSS query.

I have completed a survey (of say 200 people) and asked an open question
where I have allowed for up to five responses from each interviewee, for
example "please name 5 of your favourite foods." Essentially there are 1000

The question has (as expected) elicited more than five potential variables,
in fact there are about 40.  What I'm trying to figure out is, what is the
best way to analyse this data so that I can say, figure out what are the most
popular foods i.e. add all responses together.

Because of the single variable constraint on SPSS, I have allocated 5
separate columns for each of the possible 5 answers. Each column has
possibility of any one of the 40 variables.

I guess the question is, can I add the columns together somehow for graphing,
or how else would I generate this information?

I know this isn't really an SPSS mailgroup, but I'm kinda drowning in all
this data at the moment and would really appreciate some help.

Thanks so much all

Kevin

------------
Please reply to [log in to unmask]

Kevin Franklin
Corporate Citizenship Unit
Centre for Creativity Strategy and Change
Warwick Business School,
University of Warwick
Coventry, CV4 7AL
UK