Dear Dr. Jones,

According to Liddell&Scott 'Ptolemos' is Epic Greek for 'Polemos' and its derived forms, such as Polemios. Therefore, the meaning is the same ("warlike, warrior, fighter") and in the case of the Ptolomei of Alexandria we might say that nomen est omen. The alluring question, and you can help us with that one, is whether the in the case of Polemius, addressed by Martin of Braga, the name is a family name (in which case the connection with Alexandria should indeed be explored) or a Christian name signifying "miles Christi"  - a concept still alive, cf. "Onward, Christian soldiers' or the Salvation Army.
Cheers, Luciana

P.S. - You whetted my curiosity with contemporary sources on Chrysanthus and Daria, perhaps we should check if there are any? Such a captivating career couple, those two, I would hate to see them go down the drain; and in their case, judging from their Passio, the connection with Alexandria (Polemos being Ptolemos) would make a lot of sense.
Luciana Cuppo Csaki
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/9891