The imagery is also carried through into apostolic
times. The first lection from monastic compline is 1
Peter 5:8-9:

Fratres, sobrii estote et vigilate: quia adversarius
vester diabolus tamquam leo rugiens circuit quaerens
quem devoret. Cui resistite fortes in fide.

The RSV renders as:

Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls
around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to
devour. Resist him, firm in your faith.

--- LCC <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Dear T. Long,