Katja,

Here are some bibliographic suggestions on your question.  Most deal with Dante
and later; the first 2 references are general surveys which will have some
discussion of the early period and the next 2 (as I recall) offer summaries of
Patristic teaching on the topic.

The only mention that I am aware of with an Irish connection is from the very
beginning of the Acallam na Senorach (recently trans. into Eng. by Dooley and
Roe) where Patrick meets and baptizes some of the old Fenian heroes.

I'd be most interested to hear anything you've found about the early medieval
period on this subject.

Regards,

Jess Paehlke
Centre for Medieval Studies
University of Toronto

Ángel Santos Hernández.  Salvación y paganismo.  El problema teológico de la
salvación de los infideles.  Santander, 1960.

Capéran, Louis.  Le probleme du Salut des Infideles: essai historique.  Toulouse,
1934.

Iliescu, Nicolae.  “Will Virgil Be Saved?” Mediaevalia 12 (1989 for 1986) pp.
93-114.

Turner, Ralph V.  "Descendit ad inferos: Medieval Views on Christ’s Descent into
Hell and the Salvation of the Ancient Just" Journal of the History of Ideas 27
(1966) 173-194.            -- reply by Smith, vol. 30 (1969) 249-250.

Rizzo, Gino.  "Dante and the Virtuous Pagans" in A Dante Symposium in
Commemoration of the 700th Anniversary of the Poet’s Birth (1265-1965).  William
de Sua and Gino Rizzo, eds.  Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press,
1965.  pp. 115-139.

Lönnroth, Lars.  "The Noble Heathen: A Theme in the Sagas" Scandinavian Studies
41 (1969) 1-29.

Dunning, T.P. "Langland and the Salvation of the Heathen" Medium Aevum 12 (1943)
pp. 45-54.

Vitto, Cindy Lynn.  The Virtuous Pagan in Middle English Literature.  Rice
University, Unpub. PhD. Diss., 1985.

Hardon, J.A.  “Infidel, Salvation of the” in New Catholic Encyclopedia.  Vol. 7.
New York: McGraw-Hill, 1967.  pp. 502-504.

Chroust, Anton-Hermann.  "A Contribution to the Medieval Discussion: Utrum
Aristoteles sit Salvatus" Journal of the History of Ideas 6 / 2 (1945) pp.
231-238.

exceptional salvations" The yearbook of Langland studies, vol. 6 (1992) 63-88.

Fallani, Giovanni.  "Salvezza" in Enciclopedia Dantesca.  Vol. 4.  Rome: Istituto
della Enciclopedia Italiana, 1973.  pp. 1092-6.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]