My thanks to those who have responded. My particular thanks to those who
have glossed over my stupidities though, at the advanced age of 42, I no
longer embarrass easily. The creation of demons is an intriguing point,
but with this text we have another point -- is it an obstacle, I wonder?
The 'sign of the cross' and belief in and observance of the Creed and
the Paternoster are given by Martin as being an antidote to pagan
'spells', i.e. the everyday magic of peoples we nowadays regard as
unsophisticated. I wonder if this was so at the time (6th century and
surely unlikely? theology post-Augustine was already pretty advanced) or
is Martin compromising in order to make himself simplistically
intelligible to a lay audience (more likely? an interesting awareness of
audience if so?)? It is interesting to see superstition combatted with
superstition, if this is so. It is perhaps also important to point out
that Martin's text (and indeed his life work) was not to convert -- that
had already been done -- but rather to regulate the observance of the
catholic faith, out there at the edge of the known world. In other
words, a sort of sixth-century, catholic Wyatt Earp. I wonder if any
among you would agree with me that combatting a 'pagan' piece of magic
with a 'christian' equivalent does not amount to best practice?

Angus, Oman

P.S. My wife tells me I am actually 43 and have been for a while. Heck,
any number above a trinity leaves me a bit lost (but I also sometimes
have problems with the Trinity)!

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]