1.  THE NEXT MEETING - A FIELD TRIP TO THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SOCIETY -
April 26:

The eleventh event of the Washington Map Society 2000-2001 program year
will be held on Thursday April 26, 2001, beginning at 7:00 PM. Members and
guests will make a FIELD TRIP to the National Geographic Society (NGS),
Washington D.C. (use the M Street NW entrance between 16th & 17th Streets),
to learn about "The Development of the 7th Edition of the National
Geographic World Atlas." Our host is Allen Carroll of the NGS Maps
Administration, who was the NGS's leader in the development of the
Atlas.  Following a presentation about the work, we will divide into groups
to see how up-to-date GIS, databases, and other modern technologies were
incorporated into this publication. Please advise Tom Sander (see below) if
you plan to participate and have not yet signed-up..

2.  THE FINAL MEETING OF THIS PROGRAM YEAR - May 17 Annual Dinner -:

Thursday May 17 - Annual Dinner and President's Presentation, this year at
the Capitol Hill Club.  John Greene's topic is "Maps with a Message:
Scherer's Theology in Thematic Maps." During our annual business meeting,
we will recognize the 50th issue of 'The Portolan' and the editors of the
journal.  The Capitol Hill Club was the site of our very successful and
popular event in May 1999.  It is directly behind the Library of Congress
and across the street from METRO.  Sign up information available from Tom
Sander.

Meetings are open to members and non-members alike, without charge (except
the dinner meting). For further information, contact Tom Sander, program
chairman, at 703-426-2880, or by E-mail at [log in to unmask]

Thomas F. Sander
Vice President (Programs)
Washington Map Society
P.O. Box 10793