On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 15:54:31 -0800, Eileen White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>italian-studies: Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian studies
>
>I am NOT a Dante scholar, so first would ask those of you who are your
>indulgence for what may be a basic or inept question.  Does Saint
>Apollonia figure in any way in the Divine Comedy?

Dear Eileen,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no direct or indirect reference to S.
Apollonia in any of Dante's extant writings. He was probably more in need
of help with his eyes than with his teeth...

>I know there is has been much discussion on the connections between
>Dante and Saint Augustine, and that Augustine refers to Saint Apollonia.
>Can anyone provide or recommend recent scholarly commentary on
>Augustine's interest in Apollonia?

I think you will have to extend your search to scholarship of a more
general kind, e.g. scholarship on suicide in Augustine. A good online
resource to start with is the bibliographical database of the _Augustinus
Lexikon_ at the following URL:

http://www.augustinus.de/

Search terms like _suicide_, _suicidio_, _suicido_, _Selbstmo"rder" (with o-
umlaut) will lead you to a dozen or so entries some of which might be of
interest.

>Finally, the only recent book length treatment I know of dealing with
>Apollonia is Denti e Santi, Il mito di Apollonia : La "rappresentazione"
>di Apollonia  in una raccola iconografica di artistic italiani, Milan
>[Ed. Asclepio], 1991 by Paolo Pieoleoni ( a professor of dentistry?)
>Is there anything else?

I am not sure how much you like to read German, but there are two German
dissertations:

BULK, Wilhelm
   St. Apollonia, Patronin der Zahnkranken. Ihr Kult und
   Bild im Wandel der Zeiten. [Diss. Mu"nster] Bielefeld:
   im Selbstverlag, 1967, 111 pp.
STEINMETZ, Wolfgang
   Die Verehrung der heiligen Apollonia als Patronin der
   Zahnkranken im Eifelgebiet. Diss. Bonn, 1977, 158 pp.

You might also submit your query to our "sister-list" medieval-religion
where you can find all kinds of helpful experts specializing in the
hagiography and iconography of Christian saints. To subscribe to medieval-
religion, just send a message with text "join medieval-religion Eileen C.
White" to [log in to unmask]

Best wishes,

  Otfried

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html