Erik,

There's a  lot there to try and answer, and, like you I don't have the
answers, but the basic point I was making is that states have to have the
right to refuse entry and economics may, justifiably, be one bottom line.
Otherwise where does it stop, unrestricted migrancy based on the
availability of medical treatment, or benefit levels or subsidised
employment opportunities? Disability should never a seen or taught to as a
burden for tax payers but it has to become the responsibility of tax payers
who may see a reduction in their own services as a result and the potential
for knock on anti-disability feeling is something that we should be aware
of. Contribution to a society is not about cost, of course, there are many
people contributing in kind or through intellectual or emotional means to
the fabric of the society they live in and that has to be encouraged but
whilst Stephen Hawkins' contribution may not have been so obvious as a child
his families ability to contribute would be and if they were unable to
contribute but there was no disability issue would this discussion be
happening through this mailbase? This is why I suggested that refusal in
itself is not a disability issue. And whilst I would agree that the richer
countries have a responsibility to provide an equitable and just situation
that also has to apply to the people who are already there as well as the
people seeking to join.

Hope this adds something