I'm not sure if either of these help...

In some Greek churches there are 'icon style' pictures of the ancient Greek philosophers in the Narthex. For the reason that they bore witness to the light they knew.

As well, the 19th century Russian missionary Bishop, St. Innocent of Alaska, mentioned in his journal an encounter with an Aleut shaman who he styles as a righteous man of God. I believe you should find this in Oleska's 'Alaska Native Spirituality'.

-caedmon

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:56:51 +0300 [log in to unmask] wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Dear learned ones,
>
>I am looking for sources and studies concerning the theme of naturally good
>pagans. My own research concerns Irish hagiography and I know that the idea of
>natural goodness can also be found in Irish legal texts in connection with the
>idea of the progressive revelation and that originally these ideas come from
>St.Paul. I would be especially interested to know how common this idea was
>outside Ireland in the early Middle Ages and if and how it was treated by the
>church fathers.
>
>Yours, Katja.
>
>Katja Ritari
>Sean dún, St.John's villas