Thomas,

I'm taking this from Danny Sullivan's site http://searchenginewatch.com/ .

Unfortunately the in depth explanation is in the subscribers section
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/subscribers/more/javascript.html which you
won't be able to access unless you are a subscriber and have a password.

I've included some of the relevant article here.

"In general, search engines tend to weight the text that appears at the top
of your pages more heavily than that which comes further down. Think of it
like reading a newspaper article. The first paragraph of the article tells
you all the main points. Similarly, search engines may analyze your opening
text to try and understand what your page is about.

Consequently, using JavaScript at the top of your documents may impact your
relevancy. Some search engines may index your code first, then your HTML
copy next. That means they may put the biggest priority on scripting code,
rather than your nice opening paragraphs that contain the important terms
you hope to be found for.

Here's an example. I searched for "document.write" at AltaVista, which is a
fairly typical piece of JavaScript code. My goal was to find any pages that
AltaVista may have indexed that contained this text. The number three site
was for the Black Entertainment Network, with a listing like this:

MSBET Home
 n'); } if ( ShockMode ) { document.write(''); document.write(' ');
document.write(' '); document.write(' '); document.write('');
document.write('');...

As you can see, AltaVista clearly picked up some of the JavaScript from this
page. Obviously, using a meta description tag would have solved the bad
listing for the page, but that wouldn't have kept the JavaScript from still
being indexed and possibly degrading relevancy."

Best wishes,

jennifer