Jaqui,
try looking at Licoln and Guba (1985) Naturalistic Inquiry.
Specifically looking at the chapter on enhancing
trustworthiness in qualitative resarch.
Also a specific paper examining methods of enhancing
truthfulness in grounded theory qual research is Slevin &
Sines (99) Nurse Researcher 7(2) p.79-97.
Happy hunting!
Rach

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:45:41 -0500 Jacquie Fraser
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm about to teach an evaluation course in public health.  When I taught the
> course before we looked exclusively at quantitative research and used threats to
> internal validity as the main basis of determining 'success' of a program.  This
> time I would like to include evaluation of qualitative research but I'm not sure
> just how to go about it or maybe even if I'm asking the right questions.  Is
> 'success' in qualitative research primarily about theory generation?  Is it
> about two or more researchers looking at the same transcripts and pulling out
> the same themes?  Am I really trying to get at apples and oranges here,
> quantitative evaluation measuring program success in terms (for public health)
> of behaviour change, qualitative research looking at data-gathering to enhance
> program design and/or implementation but not program outcomes?
>
> I may be just getting to a place of thinking about this that many of you have
> been for awhile now so I would appreciate your thoughts on this or ways to
> decipher my, as yet, fuzzy thinking.
>
> Books that I've examined so far do not explicitly address evaluation of
> qualitative research (some have discussed using qualitative methods to enhance
> quantitative methods of assessment) so any resources would also be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jacquie Fraser, PhD
> Department of Health Science
> Armstrong Atlantic State University