On 26/03/2001, Barbara Banwell<[log in to unmask]> writes:

<< Mel--when you were carrying the load on your head--do you recall the
position of the pelvis--neutral--anterior or posterior tilt?  Were you even
conscious of your lower body position?  Just curious, because of previous
comments about loads and lifts--thanks >>

*** The trained body tends to optimise all conditions which suit a given
individual, so that one does not make a conscious effort to carry out such
tasks.  My Xhosa and Zulu friends and workers who carried heavy objects on
their heads would have been the last to think about anatomy, since the task
was so very natural to them.  Anyway, I cannot think of anyone who would wish
to use posterior pelvic tilt while carrying or lifting, because this tends to
flatten or round the lumbar spine, which is the last thing one wishes to
encourage during heavy load manoeuvering, especially if rotation occurs
during walking or stair climbing.  The general view would appear to favour a
'neutral' spinal position, though, of course, longitudinal loading tends to
elicit a stiffening and lengthening response by the spine (it has been
suggested that this may be one reason why carrying loads on the head may
improve standing posture).

Dr Mel C Siff
Denver, USA
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Supertraining/