> and something that purports to be a cellar. Do we know
> the date and purpose of these buildings?

Dear Marjorie

You are asking questions, very interesting for an Abelardian, but I fear
that a description of all the buildings situated at the Paraclete would
require many pages and thereby exceed the patience of the other
list-members.

At least, I can tell you that most buildings of "la ferme" or "la
basse-cour" date from the 15/16th century. The enclosure war fortified
during the religious wars, at the same time, when the peasants' houses south
the Paraclete were destroyed. During this period, about two hundred farmers,
now living inside the farm, defended the Paraclete. Jeanne de Chabot, the
abbess of the Paraclete, commanded these people, "tous bons soldatz et gens
de coeur, pour mettre en garnison en sondit monastère..." The result:
"....lesdis reistres n'y entrerent point". Surprisingly, the courageous
abbess converted to Protestantism, later. The most ancient building within
the farm area is "le cellier aux moins", dating partially from the 12th
century, i.e. from the very beginning. By the way, the traditional name "aux
moins" reflects that there were "fratres" at the Paraclete. These "men" are
described by many documents, throughout the centuries: Laymen, "converses",
priests, confessors, even administrators etc. But there was never an abbot
at the Paraclete. This fact was often misinterpreted as H's deviation from
A's rule for the Paraclete. There is a very simple reason why H and her
(female) successors couldn't found a real double monastery intended by
Abelard. The agricultural income of the Paraclete  (la Champagne sèche!) was
always very modest and restricted. For several times, the Paraclete nuns
suffered from severe poverty, even hunger. The number of nuns seldom
exceeded the number of 20. By the way, Abelard had recommended to restrain
the number of nuns, as he knew about the risks of a wealthy and overcrowded
convent. Due to the lack of facilities, H. was caused to found all the
priories of the Paraclete, during her lifetime. But this is another
story....

If you want to know more about the history of the Paraclete - and you can't
read my Paraclete website - see: Willocx, Albert, Abélard, Héloise et le
Paraclet, Librairie Bleue, Troyes, 1996. The booklet is not always exact in
detail, but it gives a nice synopsis.

Kind regards

Werner

to: [log in to unmask]