At 10:37 PM 03/03/2001 +0400, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval
religion and culture

>Dear all
>
>Thanks to Juris, but we still don't have the why and
wherefore -- if it is to be had at all. The
>guy died of old age, bless him! So what did he do that got
him sainted, apart from hearsay?
>Anything? I see nothing in Martin of Tours or later
writers. Can we pin Martin of Braga down to
>just one teeny miracle, or do we simply say he was yet
another 'called' saint?

There is a brief passage about Martin of Braga in Gregory
of Tours, _History of the Franks_ V, 37.  Gregory doesn't
assign any miracles to him but does say that he died "full
of good works."  My guess would be that his perceived
sainthood was the result of a holy life and his battles
against heresy.

Stephen A. Allen

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]