there also is the idea that one is the key of power & the other the key of
knowledge.  The quickest way to find references to this distinction is in
Brian Tierney's The Origins of Papal Infallibility.  But I am not sure this
casts light on the choice of colors.
Tom Izbicki

At 09:05 AM 3/1/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Stephanie,
>
>I know I've seen reference in a medieval painting that the keys open (and
>lock) the gates of Heaven and Hell, respectively.
>If you wish I shall try to track down the info.
>Best,
>j michael

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]