This won't help Jonathan any, except perhaps providing an early
parallel.  The ninth century manuscripts I have been examining of Isidore
of Seville's commentary on Exodus switch the fifth and the sixth
commandments (Augustinian numbering).  Thus the text reads "Quintum non
moechaberis..." and "Sextum non occides..."

I would be very interested in seeing any further insight from the learned
list-members on such switches.

Donald Jacob Uitvlugt

At 07:53 PM 3/3/01 -0500, Jonathan Hall wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>I have found several 15th century texts (as well as woodcuts and a
>relief sculpture) which switch the sixth and seventh commandments (in
>the traditional Augustinian numbering).  I found both orders in
>Gerson's works: ABC des simples gens has 6. adultery, 7. stealing; Le
>miroir de l'ame has 6. stealing, 7. adultery.  The majority of
>evidence follows the Biblical order.
>
>The only explanation I can think of at the moment is that some
>thought that stealing was more serious than adultery, and should be
>switched so the commandments decrease in seriousness.  I'm sure
>there's a better reason--can anyone help me out?
>
>Thanks,
>Jonathan Hall

Donald Jacob Uitvlugt
PhD candidate in Theology