Dear list members,
The conference described below is a broadly conceptualised and
multi-disciplinary event.  As its organiser, I hope it will be felt
appropriate that I have drawn it to the list's attention.  Because of the
scope of the suggestions for papers I believe there may be people
active in this field who would like to participate.
Lesley Whitworth
________________

This year we are pleased to announce that the Living in a Material World
conference series (originated by Coventry University) will take place in
Brighton where the conference and an associated exhibition will take place
at the University's Grand Parade site, within view of the sea and the
Royal Pavilion, between 25th and 27th June 2001.

LIAM III will be subtitled "Navigating the Material World".  The website
www.brighton.ac.uk/liam/ will be regularly added to with further details.
Invited keynotes Stuart Laing, Peter Playdon, Helen Davis, Leon Johnson,
Judy Attfield.

Anyone who missed LIAMs I and II will not want to miss III.  These events
are marked out by the level of genuine inter-disciplinary exchange; the
quixotic blend of theory and practice.

Proposals for papers are invited which respond to any of the ideas and
phrases which appear below.  Papers which cross-refer are particularly
welcome, as are proposals for "non-standard" presentations.  Proposals
should be no more than 300 words and papers are expected to run at 20-25
minutes with discussion time. These should be forwarded in "text only"
format preferably by 16th April to: [log in to unmask]
Or posted to: Lesley Whitworth, Living in a Material World, Design History
Research Centre, University of Brighton, Grand Parade, Brighton BN2 2JY,
UK

Trigger Talk:
*Past time; Pastime; Play; Hobby as reconciliation with the world through
a creative / re-ordering mechanism;
*Toys as signifiers of children's / adult's negotiation with the world;
The journey of life;
*Historically embedded processes of living; Generational cultures; Age,
aging and identity; Memory work;
*Collect, collate, curate; Sense-making through the ritual of cataloguing;
The information economy;
*Financial and commercial negotiations, trading, promoting, performing,
consuming
*Identity formation: individual; local; national; cultural; creative;
(Journeys as) transformative experience
*Reconfigure, reconstitute, re-order; Interstitial and liminal spaces;
Cite; sight; site
*Social and spatial topographies; absence / presence / inappropriate
accumulations
*Egress/ transgress; Negotiating dominant ideologies; Interrogate,
interpolate, interrupt
*Minority interests; Centre and margin; Morality; Respectability; Notions
of "appropriate behaviour"; Etiquette
*Physical negotiations / engagements; Travel; Movement; The ritual and
paraphernalia of travel; Travel writing
*Journey as narrative ; Negotiate; navigate; narrate; Orientation and
disorientation; Museology
*Define, delimit, delineate