Dear Victoria/Ed,

While I'm here at the ADS on secondment I'm developing a series of
teaching and learning materials which will be posted online.  We've been
looking into the issue of standards and, although learning materials
aren't quite the same as the interpretative layers that Victoria is
proposing, I thought that you'd be interested to know what is emerging.

Standards for learning technology are a fairly recent development and
advice from JISC suggests that the specifications being developed by the
IMS Global Learning Consortium (global see http://www.imsproject.org/ )
are the ones to watch.  The specifications cover the following areas:

- Metadata to describe the learning materials and their structure and
location online.
- Metadata to descibe the learner(s) (or the audience that the materials
are targeted at) and also the producer of the learning content (ie. the
academic institution, commercial body etc).
- Specifications relating to the interoperability of the learning
materials with other systems on the Internet including interoperability
of question and answer tests

So the standards range from providing a way of assessing the relevance
of the materials to a particular learner/course, a way of assessing
their quality to their technical delivery (use of HTML, XML, Style
sheets, document type descriptions and so on).

Hope this helps,

Kate

--
Kate Fernie
Research Officer

Dept of Archaeology     t 0044 (0)1904 433973
University of York      f 0044 (0)1904 433939
England YO1 7EP, UK
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk   e [log in to unmask]