Dear all

Some of you will know, many of you won't (for reasons that will soon become
clear) that one of our members just posted a response to the request for
help with map projections that had executable files(.exe file extensions) as
attachments. Subsequently, I've been deluged with error messages from mail
systems that have rejected the message on the grounds that .exe files have
previously been used to transmit viruses by email.

It's good to know that so many mail systems out there have effective virus
protection systems (including my own University, congratulations Site
Support) and those of you who received the message might like to enquire of
your mail administrators why it wasn't trapped.

However, the main purpose of this message is to ask all geo-tectonics
members to be very wary of sending attachments to messages, frequently their
sheer size causes problems for many mail systems. More firmly, please don't
send those of a file type that cause programs to run on the receiving
computer (.exe files are just one of a family of such files) If in doubt,
don't attach it.

To end on a positive note, if you have material that you think would be of
interest and benefit to geo-tectonics members, remember that we have the
facility to post files onto the web page associated with the list. At
present the only file there is the Introduction message sent to you when you
first subscribe. If you have material that you would like to make accessible
to members, please contact me and I can arrange for it to be added to the
web page.

Cheers

John Whalley, list owner.