Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 14:53:15 +0000
To: Simon Cuthbert <[log in to unmask]>
From: "John C. Schumacher" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: MSG RIP

Dear Friends of the Metamorphic Studies Group,

As many of you know, our annual Research in Progress (MSG-RIP)
meeting was scheduled for March 21 in Glasgow. Unfortunately,
circumstances are such that we, the Committee of the MSG, expect and
extremely poor turn out due to competing obligations of many MSG
supporters, and, as a result, we feel it is necessary to postpone the
MSG-RIP to a later date.

For those of you not in the UK, a major factor in this decision is
the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE), which will determine funding
levels in every earth science in the UK for the next 5 years. Most
regular participants at the MSG-RIP are involved in some way with RAE
preparations, and, after canvassing our these members, we feel that a
postponement is the only recourse.

I apologize for any inconvenience or burden this may place on those
loyal few who were planning to participate, and in particular to our
valued student members.

I  would like to remind you all of the MSG organized Symposium G6:
"Blueschist to UHP metamorphism and back again" at EUG XI.

John Schumacher

    Dr. John C. Schumacher <[log in to unmask]>

    Chairman - Metamorphic Studies Group

    Department of Earth Sciences, Wills Memorial Building,
    Queens Road, Bristol BS8 1RJ, UK