-----Original Message-----
From: Evidence based health (EBH) is the integration of individual
knowledge [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Toby
Lipman
Sent: 25 March 2001 09:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Prostate cancer screening?

It may be just the clocks going forward, but I'm sure I heard on the
radio that "men will be able to attend their GP to be screened for
prostate cancer". I was not aware of any change to the advice given by
the UK National Screening Committee in 1997 that the low specificity of
the test available (PSA) and the lack of consensus on appropriate
management of prostate cancer, particularly in its early stages, meant
that a screening programme for prostate cancer would fail to meet WHO
criteria (Wilson and Jungner, WHO paper no 34, 1968).

Is there new evidence that prostate cancer screening meets Wilson and
Jungner's criteria (below)?

-The condition has a recognisable early phase and early treatment can be
shown to improve prognosis

-Effective treatment is possible and available

-The test for the condition should be relatively simple, not harmful and
acceptable to the patient

-The test should achieve a balance between false positives and false
negatives which is related to the severity of consequences of wrong
diagnosis both for the health care system and the patient

-Screening must be sustainable once introduced and not just part of a
limited specific initiative

Toby
--
Toby Lipman
General practitioner, Newcastle upon Tyne

Tel 0191-2811060 (home), 0191-2437000 (surgery)

Northern and Yorkshire Evidence-Based Practice Workshops

http://www.eb-practice.fsnet.co.uk/