Hi

For those who hadn't seen this, here is the text of Margaret Hodge's
statement on the extension of the Disability Discrimination Act to small
firms.

Mark.

House of Commons Hansard
5 Mar 2001 : Column: 13W

Disability Rights Task Force

Ms Hodge: I am delighted to announce that the Government's response to the
Task Force, entitled "Towards Inclusion--civil rights for disabled people",
is published today. Copies are available in the Library of the House.
We are already taking forward the Task Force's recommendations on civil
rights in education in the Special Educational Needs and Disability Bill,
which received its Third reading in the House of Lords on 1 March. My hon.
Friend the Under-Secretary of State for the Department of the Environment,
Transport and the Regions announced on 7 December that he would be
consulting separately on the Task Force's civil rights recommendations on
transport. The Disability Rights Commission, on which the Task Force made
previous recommendations, has been open to the public since 25 April 2000.
"Towards Inclusion" describes our proposals for amending the Disability
Discrimination Act's provisions on the definition of disability, employment
and access to goods, services, facilities and premises. These proposals will
have a major impact on promoting equality for, and safeguarding the rights
of, disabled people. They include: covering more people with HIV and cancer;
ending the DDA's small employer exemption by 2004; bringing within scope of
the DDA occupations and employment such as the police, fire-fighters, prison
officers, barristers and partners in business partnerships. By making these
changes, we will bring over 600,000 disabled people, in a range of jobs and
occupations, into scope. We will also improve the process for making
tribunal complaints;
5 Mar 2001 : Column: 14W
extend the scope of the DDA to cover most functions of public bodies--not
just services to the public as now; and introduce a new duty on public
bodies to promote equalisation of opportunities for disabled people. We are
seeking views on our proposals by 8 June. In addition, we have asked the
DRC, as part of its role to monitor and review the DDA, to consider further
some other Task Force issues.
"Towards Inclusion" also describes how we have taken forward the Task
Force's non-legislative recommendations and outlines the wide range of
positive Government action for disabled people over the last four years, in
all areas of life.
Our 1997 manifesto made a major commitment to disabled people. We promised
to support their comprehensive and enforceable civil rights. With the help
of the Disability Rights Task Force, the steps we have taken over the last
four years--and what we now propose in "Towards Inclusion"--meet this
commitment. We are on the way towards creating a truly inclusive society for
disabled people.

Best Wishes

Mark Priestley
Centre for Disability Studies