Thanks to Paul for bringing this up (so to speak).  The Dutch case is
currently being portrayed as quite 'mystifying' in the British media -
reports state that with the first Dutch case being confirmed in cows and
goats in the eastern towns of Olst in the province of Overjissel, and Oene
(3 miles away in Gelderland), the cows in Olst have had no contact with
either British or French animals, as no animals have been brought in or out
of the farm this year or last. I've also been quite (possibly naively)
puzzled in the seeming lack of response from animal rights activists and
organisations in relation to the proposed pre-emptive strike on apparently
healthy sheep, the apparent acceptance of the underlying economic basis of
most/all arguments in justifying the action taken so far, and the somewhat
strange scenario that it is the farmers that are prepared to take up arms in
defence of their flocks that presumably would have been sold off for lunches
and dinners at a later date. I presume others out there are better informed
on these issues and would like to hear from them.
Dr. Duncan Fuller
Division of Geography and Environmental Management
Lipman Building
University of Northumbria at Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
UK

Tel (Direct): (0191) 2273753
Mobile: 07946 401359
Tel (Division Office): (0191) 2273951
Fax: (0191) 2274715

'Beyond the Academy?  Critical geographies in Action'
University of Northumbria at Newcastle
12-14 September 2001

Conference website - http://gem.unn.ac.uk/conferences/beyond.html